Saturday 6 August 2011

Buttons Galore!

For the past week or so I have been slowly sorting out my HUGE button collection!  I inherited the majority from my gran when she passes away, she had two big tins full of buttons and used to make her own clothes and clothes for my mum and aunt as well.  The more '80's style ones are from my nan who also had a small selection and some are from a random ebay purchase from which I used the nautical buttons for a costume.

This tin has my gran's name etched in the top 'Edna's Tin' and very faintly it has my grandad's on the bottom 'Ray.'  I think this is really sweet, especially as I don't really remember my grandad, he died when I was very young.

The majority of the buttons are vintage and pretty old, I especially love the mother of pearl and the glass patterned buttons that are really lovely, if a bit chipped.

Some of the buttons had clearly been cut off clothing and still had pieces of some very retro 1970's fabric and some gingham that reminded me of school uniforms.

I have been sorting them into ones, twos, threes and then anything bigger.  I am planning on selling some and keeping some, the larger amounts I will pop on ebay as they have sold pretty well fr me on there is the past.  The pile in the middle is all I have left to sort.  I say all but that is a fair size coffee tab;e and its nearly covered!  I will do another post with some of my favourite ones, there are some really pretty black anchors that might just be jet but I am not sure.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am very drawn to all things 'buttony'! I'd love to get my hands on your collection :)

    Stopping by from Sew Darn Crafty's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttons are the best! Thanks for sharing your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of buttons! I have a huge button crush going on, I can't help buying them, even when I have no idea what I will do with them!

    A great collection, love the tins, is the second one an old Rose's tin, sure my nana had one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Quality Street tin :) I love how the tins have been kept. I have a sewing box with original threads for mending holes in your stockings too, I will have to post that soon, it is so mini and sweet.

    ReplyDelete